REALLY??!!
Who is this happy while cleaning their house?! Like most families Matt and I have definitely taken the traditional roles in the relationship. My domain in everything inside the house and his domain is everything outside the house. Not uncommon right? And in all honesty most days I really don't mind it! The thought of getting all hot and sweaty with nasty bugs flying around you while you cut grass or trim bushes is less than appealing. Cleaning out a garage that smells due to the trash that has been sitting there for a week with no air circulating just isn't my idea of a good time! I mean there are certainly indoor tasks I don't enjoy either but at least my air temperature remains constant and I can even turn on some tunes to jam to while I do the neverending tasks!
However, there comes a point where I start to feel a little taken advantage of. It's no longer just a matter of doing "my share" of the work. Matt gets mad.. ok sometimes... downright irate if I go into the garage and get something and then don't put it back exactly where it belongs. I get the 5 year old lecture about how if you take something out you should put it back where you got it and la la la. If Gavin dares to park his bike or any other riding toy other than where Matt made a space for it he will get all kinds of grief! If a piece of trash doesn't make it's way into the trash can because it flew out you will without any doubt hear...."don't just put it on top or next to the trash can... put it in it!" All of this makes sense I agree however it is all so one sided!!
First of all there is FAR more stuff that needs to be done inside the house than outside! The kids must stay inside while he works out in the yard because he can't watch them but when I have stuff to do inside the kids are at my feet or tearing up what just got cleaned! You see he just doesn't seem to understand that it works both ways!
Just as the small piece of trash that didn't make it into the trashcan should be picked up and put in the can... so should the dish be placed in the dishwasher that you placed next to the sink and expected me to clean or the clothes you left next to the bed instead of putting in the laundry basket. Just as there are sharp tools outside that can hurt little ones there are poisonous cleaning chemicals that can kill them if they ingest them!
I'm just saying... I'm expected to do my share and still help by bringing up trashcans and putting them away and maintaining a clean garage. Yet, when I ask for the dishwasher to be started "I forgot" is what I hear the next day when all the dishes are still dirty.
I'm done with the "it's not my mess" attitude around my house by everyone! I sure would be interested to see how this house ran if I took the same "it's not my mess" attitude!


No comments:
Post a Comment